Cloud computing is a big shift from the traditional way of managing IT resources. Cloud computing is the delivery of computing resources such as servers, software, storage, analytics, database over the internet. It allows rapid provisioning of resources for scaling. Cloud computing relies on sharing of resources to achieve coherence and economics of scale.
Salient features of Cloud computing are :
- Speed – Computing resources can be provisioned in minutes. Provisioning resources with Cloud computing is very quick and easy task. We can easily scale up and down, depending on our need.
- Cost – It reduces up-front cost to setup the infrastructure and allows us to focus on applications and business. This reduces significant amount of spending as we do not have to spend money on buying server hardware, hiring professionals to manage those servers and other maintenance costs.
- Scale – The benefits of cloud computing services include the ability to scale. This means scale resources up and down according to our needs. For example, depending on our needs we can get more or less computing power, data storage, bandwidth at appropriate geographical location.
- Ease of access – Multiple users can use the same pool of resources from any place or device. This is specially useful when team works from remote locations. Anyone user with sufficient privileges can access these resources and work with them as long as user can connect to the provider.
- Maintenance – All the maintenance work for the resources is done by the provider. As end-users, we do not have to worry about this aspect. Downtime due to maintenance is also negligible. Most of the cloud service providers regularly provide security and other necessary updates for keeping systems secure and updated.
- Reliability – Resources can be hosted in different Data center locations, to provide increased reliability. If any failure occurs at any particular data center we can rely on other data centers for service availability. It is specially useful when our application needs to have high availability.
- Performance – The biggest cloud computing services run on a worldwide network of secure data centers, which are regularly upgraded to the latest generation of fast and efficient computing hardware. This offers several benefits over a single corporate data center, including reduced network latency for applications and greater economies of scale.
Digital Ocean is one such cloud service provider which provides Cloud services. You can setup Virtual Private Server (VPS) with a single click.